The potato omelette is an emblem of Spanish culture, perhaps one of the most typical and well-known dishes. That recipe that everyone who is just starting out in the kitchen knows, but what if we told you that we can take it to the next level with an exceptional flavour?
To achieve this, all you have to do is add two special touches to the traditional Spanish potato omelette recipe. Success is guaranteed, but be warned: you will become addicted and everyone will ask for your secret when you try it.
Learn more at how to make potato omelette with caramelised onion and goat cheese with this simple recipe.
Take note of the ingredients you need to have ready to start cooking. This quantity is perfect for 4 people and the estimated preparation time is 45 minutes.
- 800 g potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 6 eggs
- 120 g goat's cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make potato omelette with caramelised onions and goat cheese
- We start with the longest step: caramelising the onion. Peel the onions and cut into julienne strips. Put it in the frying pan over a low heat with a good splash of extra virgin olive oil, stir constantly and let it cook very slowly.
When it starts to become transparent add salt to taste. Keep it at the same temperature until it turns brown and tastes sweet.
- While you are stirring the caramelised onion, peel the potatoes and cut them into very thin slices. Try to keep them all uniform in size. Leave to soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Place a frying pan on the heat and add a generous amount of Picual extra virgin olive oil. It is important to use EVOO and not any other type of oil to maintain the antioxidants when cooked at high temperatures, as well as adding extra flavour to the recipe.
- Before the extra virgin olive oil heats up, add the potatoes and let them fry slowly. Start with an almost cold EVOO. This will ensure that the potatoes are confit rather than browned.
Extra trickTurn up the heat when they have been cooking for 10 minutes. This way you can make some of the potatoes more toasted, providing contrasts in the final dish. A pleasure in every mouthful.
- Remove the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Drain the caramelised onion, which will be ready by then. Put it on top of the potatoes.
- Add the chopped, skinless goat's cheese. This will allow it to melt with the heat of the potatoes so that it adds flavour to the whole omelette.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the bowl. Stir with a fork to get the ingredients well mixed.
- Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil to the frying pan and pour in the mixture to curdle the omelette. If you like it slightly curdled, do not leave it for more than 3 minutes. Use a plate to turn the omelette over.
What to accompany a potato omelette with
If you don't know what to accompany your potato omelette with, here are the best ideas for a complete and delicious menu. Accompanied by courgette cream or a traditional salmorejo is perfect for lunch.
It is also ideal cold and if cut into cubes, placed on sandwiches, it is perfect for a snack. As well as with chickpea hummusa perfect combination to place in the middle of the table when you have guests.
Now you know all the tricks to become a master of the recipe of potato omelette with caramelised onion and goat's cheese. The secret is in the elaboration and in using quality products, we recommend you to use our carafe of Picual EVOO to provide a unique flavour and always have a quality extra virgin olive oil ready in your kitchen. Because once you try this recipe, you won't be able to stop making it.