We have to admit it, we love to follow the Mediterranean diet with products from our land. We can't resist a good extra virgin olive oil or an exquisite Iberian ham. And we thought, why not add these gourmet products to one of the favourite dishes of many? Pizza, an emblem of Italian cuisine.
And if you are also one of us and love homemade pizza, we have the perfect recipe to prepare it at home with a different touch to enjoy Mediterranean flavours on pizza.
Take note of this iberian ham pizza recipe with extra virgin olive oil. Ideal to surprise your guests.
How to make pizza dough
A pizza is a healthy proposal if it is prepared at home and quality products are used. Adding good extra virgin olive oil to the dough, instead of using other saturated fats, is key to ensuring that it is not harmful to the body. The benefits of consuming EVOO at meals are numerous.
The fact is that what makes the difference in the gourmet pizza recipes is to prepare the homemade dough. You have to let it rest, so the ideal is to make it the day before or prepare several to leave frozen and ready to bake for any occasion. Take note of the steps and ingredients for the preparation of the pizza dough.
- Heat 3 cups of water to 30 °C. Mix the water, 2 tablespoons of baking powder and ¼ cup of powdered milk in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, one cup of bread flour and 6 cups of wholemeal flour, half a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of honey. Mix the dough lightly for at least 8 minutes.
- Let the dough rest in a glass bowl, cover it with a cloth and keep it in a warm area. An excellent option is to put it in the oven turned off, but with the light on.
- After 15 minutes, uncover the dough and fold it over several times until you have a smooth dough. It is important that your hands are moist.
- Leave to ferment at room temperature for one hour. Once the time has passed, the pizza base is ready, roll it out with a rolling pin to the thickness of your choice.
Pizza with Iberian ham and olive oil recipe
If you want to surprise your guests or simply enjoy a dinner party at home, take note of this recipe from pizza with Iberian ham. Easy to prepare and with an irresistible special touch. But be warned: it will become one of your favourites!
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees with the heat function up and down for 15 minutes. While it reaches temperature, coat the surface of the dough with crushed tomato concentrate using a soup spoon.
- Cut fresh mozzarella cheese to taste, trying to get them all to a similar thickness. Spread it all over the pizza base.
- Place cherry tomatoes all over the base, between 6 and 8 units is ideal, although you can do it to taste.
- Place the pizza in the oven on special baking paper to prevent it from sticking. To get a pizza similar to a wood-fired pizza that is crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside, there is a little trick you can do.
Place the pizza on the parchment paper directly on the oven floor for 3 minutes until the dough is golden brown. Then place the pizza on the rack in the highest part of the oven for 4 minutes.
- When you take it out of the oven, add sliced Iberian cured ham from RR IberianWith the heat of the pizza, the fat from the Iberian ham will begin to melt to create an explosion of flavours on the palate.
The irresistible thing about adding acorn-fed Iberian ham as the main ingredient to this artisan pizza is its exquisite flavour, but also that it allows you to have a healthy dinner, thanks to its unsaturated fats that help to reduce "bad" cholesterol.
- Finally, add rocket on top and a drizzle of organic extra virgin olive oil for a special touch.
Now you know how to make an iberian ham pizza with extra virgin olive oilall the necessary steps to enjoy an authentic Iberian-style pizza at home.